Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Writing a Continuity Book

The week before Thanksgiving, my editor emailed me to ask if I'd like to participate in the 2009 LIS continuity. After looking at my deadlines, I realized I could swing it. I'm excited to take part in this project. However, it's going to push me in a few directions I haven't explored before. First, I'll be writing a female FBI agent. Fortunately, I do know several people who work for the FBI, so I should be fine getting details that I need. Second, I'm writing about a forensic anthropologist. This is a career that has fascinated me for a long time, so I'm excited to write a hero whose career I'll really enjoy researching. Third, I'll be writing about a place I've never been which I always find challenging.

The problem with writing a continuity really doesn't lie in writing the book, but in coordinating the details of the stories and characters with the other five authors who are working on it. For LIS continuities, there are always five other books. Five other personalities. Five other people who have their own style, voice, and ideas about writing. This will be my third continuity, and I'm always amazed at how well the authors mesh when working on projects like it.

It's fun. Exciting. Really, really interesting.

What a blessing to be included!

4 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

Well, if your last continuity book is any indication...you'll do great. I loved Little Girl Lost. Can't wait to read the new one. :)

I heard Robin Miller got asked to do a continuity. I assume it's the same one. Who else is writing with you?

Shirlee McCoy said...

Margaret Daley, Roxanne Rustand, Terri Reed, Pat MacDonald.

If you like reading continuity books, the one cominng out this next year is great. It's about college friends who are trying to figure out whose body was buried beneath a sidewalk on the college campus.

Also, there are a few other adjectives I would use to describe writing a continuity. However, I won't share them here. :0)

darlene said...

Shirlee..
Where are you????? I miss reading your blog.

Shirlee McCoy said...

Darlene,

Where were you at Christmas. I thought you were going to be in town, but never heard from you. Sad, sad me.