Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Go Ahead and Eat Dessert First

I don't know why I picked that title. Maybe because I really wanted to eat dessert instead of dinner, but needed to set a good example for my kids.

Here's what I'm thinking about today - trials.

I have two dear friends that are going through very difficult times. Today they both called me. Neither was complaining, whining, or filled with self pity, but it was obvious both were struggling. I struggled, too. To say the right thing, to word my responses in ways that weren't coddling or dismissive, because I understood the truth of our conversations. My friends didn't want or need my advice, they just wanted my ear. And really that was all I could give them. After a while the conversation died down, we hung up, and I was left wondering if I'd helped at all.

It's tough when things are going just the way you planned and suddenly the floor drops out from under you. I think human nature demands we look for answers. Sin. Poor choices. Lack of faith. Most of the time, though, the truth is simply that trials are part of life. No matter how loved by God, no matter how close to Him, there will be times when we will walk into the brick wall of uncertainty and have a truckload of doubt crash down on our heads. Look at Job, so loved by God and yet he lost everything. One day life was good, the next he was sitting in ashes and covered with sores. In the end, God lifted Job up again, pulling him out of grief and pain and back into life renewed. In the darkest moments, this is what we need to remember. God may not intervene, but He is there, ready to create joy from sorrow and blessings from loss.

2 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

This post hits home for so many reasons. I have a friend who's going through a tough tough time because of choices her husband made and it's putting her in such a painful position.

Then there's this child that was in an accident and lost his leg and had damage to other areas that will forever change the direction of his life. He's the child of a Godly family who love God with all their heart, so like Job, you see, they weren't exempt from pain or sorrow, as are none of us. It's hard to swallow sometimes and even harder to make sense of but if we can keep focused on Him and believe He has a plan, one day we'll weep no more! And what a glorious day that will be!!!

Shirlee McCoy said...

Absolutely, Sabrina.