Thursday, March 12, 2009

Immortalized in a Venerable Monument

I have four...well, actually five....kids.

Of the four that are at home, only one has inherited my love of the written word. The other three....well, let's just say they'd rather not write anything. And read? We're making headway in that area, but I still wouldn't say they adore books the way I do.

So it was with great dread that I collected today's writing assignments. Each kid was required to choose a place and write a paragraph describing it. The key to this assignment was to use interesting adjectives. Three of my kids didn't do so well. Unless you include big, little, loud, green, bright or beautiful in your list of interesting adjectives. My twelve-year-old, however, put a smile on my face. He chose to describe Mount Rushmore, and his description could have come out of any travel brochure. As a matter of fact, I tactfully (ha!) asked if he'd looked in his history book. He, being him, reminded me that he was studying world history not US history.

My favorite sentence of his was - The four presidents immortalized in this venerable monument....

My writer's heart swelled fifteen times its normal size when I read that. Immortalized. Venerable.

Those are interesting words, thoughtfully used. They reflect the kind of passion for written language that can't be taught or learned.

It's a God-given gift and I can't take any credit for it, but I can't help but be happy that one of my kids shares my passion for words

2 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

Wowser...you might have a little word genious on your hands. :) How old is he?

This reminds me of my 9 year old Tanner. He's very analytical and usually not very emotional. He wrote a little poem for school about what Excitement is. My favorite line,

Excitement feels like peace coming after a hard fought war.

Aren't kids awesome? And what a double blessing that you got to be his teacher. :)

Shirlee McCoy said...

Oh...that's awesome, Sabrina.

It sounds like Tanner has a lot more emotion going on inside than outside!