Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Probation and Weed

Oddly enough, I found a cell phone while walking through the woods near my son's art class. I planned to charge the phone, look for a home number and call the owner of the phone. Of course, being me, I immediately thought, "I wonder if this beat up phone belongs to a drug dealer." Then dismissed the thought as pure imagination.

My son, being much more technically savvy than I am, managed to figure out that the phone was still charged. He turned it on, and I scrolled through the contact list, hoping to find a home number. Guess what I found? An entry titled "Probation" and one titled "Weed".

As I was contemplating my next move, the phone rang and some loud music spewed from it. Immediately, I had visions of tracking devices and gang members, drug feuds and me and my kids caught in the middle.

I decided then and there that the owner of the phone could do without a call from me. I thought about mailing the phone to the police, but decided I'd feel too much like an idiot. I mean, maybe "weed" was someones last name. And maybe probation was....well, something other than what I thought.

Regardless, the phone was turned off and deposited in a lost and found.

Somehow I doubt it will ever be retrieved.

6 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sabrina L. Fox said...

Oh, Shirlee, wouldn't this make a great scene in a book? Wow, suspense follows you around. LOL.

I think I would have thrown it down and walked away. =)

Shirlee McCoy said...

Well, I've been thinking about that phone. When it rang, someone was sending a picture on it. At least that's what the text said. So, I started thinking about what would happen if someone found a phone that had pictures on it and what if a heroine was so curious she had to look at those pictures and what if...

What ifs are always the way my books start!

Sabrina L. Fox said...

What if she called the guy and he said thanks. Then she hung up and a photo came through. What if the photo was of a murder or a drug deal? Then she realized the guy knew she'd seen it. Shirlee, this sounds very intriguing. Seriously, great idea.

On another note, I'm waiting to hear about my LI proposal. I'll keep you posted. =)

Nike Chillemi said...

Great opening for a novel.

BTW...I enjoyed your Lakeview Protector and put up a review on my blog and also at Amazon.

Shirlee McCoy said...

Thanks, Nike. I'm glad you liked the book!