Thursday, February 14, 2008

Good Intentions

It seems I always start the week with big plans regarding things like how much cleaning will get done, how much writing I'll do, how much more organized I'll be. Inevitably, I wake up on Thursday morning and think - where in the world is the week going and why haven't I accomplished more during it?!

What I'm beginning to realize is that I am only one person (yes, I know it seems obvious, but I so want to be everything to everyone). I have limited time. I can't be two (or three or four) places at once. Therefore, no matter how much I want to do everything for everyone, I simply can't.

Of course, realizing this doesn't make me any less anxious to accomplish what I feel I should.

Interestingly enough, when I was in college I wrote a paper focused on the idea that the more modern advances women have, the more time (rather than less time) they spend devoted to cleaning, cooking, etc. I think that idea is more true than any of us realize. All I have to do is watch television and I'm bombarded with commercials for equipment that I can use to (pick your poison) have whiter whites, brighter brights, shinier floors, more sanitary toilets, smaller onion slices, air tight frozen foods, even MORE airtight frozen foods, tighter abs, stronger thighs, clearer skin, more luxurious hair. The ideal woman, then, must have a spotless house, a perfect figure and timeless beauty.

Of course, by the time that perfect woman is done using every new product on the market to make her house sparkle and her laundry immaculate, and by the time she's done running and lunging and lifting and stretching, exfoliated and scrubbing, washing and rubbing, that poor perfect woman is a tired old hag who can barely lift her head to give her kids a kiss goodnight!

So, dear friends, I have not reached Thursday with my to-do list done. However, I am happy to report that I have plenty of energy to dole out hugs and kisses!

2 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

Glad to see you're back. :) I took off several days to get a bunch of stuff done (we're getting ready to move next month) and I woke up sick yesterday. I have accomplished nothing!!! Sigh.

Any news on the adoption?

Shirlee McCoy said...

Where are you moving? Are you excited?

I feel like I've accomplished nothing all week. Well, I did manage to paint our half bath, but I don't think that counts as work. Ha!

Adoption news...waiting and waiting and waiting on INS to approve our I700A (I think that was the form). It's a petition to bring an orphan in to the country. Sadly, we weren't told to do this before the homestudy was complete. So, now everything is done and we're waiting on that.

Tell me more about your move. I want to live vicariously through you! :0)