Monday, July 16, 2007

And They're Off

My hero and heroine finally took a one-way flight to New York. The manuscript will hit my editor's desk on her first day back from RWA. Poor Melissa. I didn't actually plan it that way. I was holding on to that proposal as if my entire life depended on its success. Which, of course, it didn't.

If you're wondering, I suppose I like the story. Actually, I love the story, but I'm sure I'll hate it before the wait is over.

And just so that no one thinks I'm a shoe-in for a contract because I'm already published, there is a good possibility Steeple Hill won't buy the story that I just sent out. See, it's not about whether I love my chocoholic heroine and her hunky hero. It's not even just about whether the writing is good or the story is compelling. It is also about timing. Has anyone else done any thing like this recently?

It's about personal taste. Will my editor hate the fact that my villain is a freckle-faced killer (Probably not, but she might get annoyed with number of times I say it. I do so love to repeat myself!)?

It's about supply and demand. Are there slots that need filling and is my book going to be marketable enough to be fit into one of them?

Though rejection always feels very personal, it's not. Most often it's simply a matter of two or three of the above things combining to make an editor think - not this one. Not this time.

It stinks (I know this from experience), but it's part of the process.

I'm going to keep that in mind as I wait and wonder how my chapters and synopsis are fairing.

2 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

You know I needed this post today. LOL. Thanks for sharing your own insecurities. Good luck. I'll be praying for your hunky hero and your chocoholic heroine.

Anonymous said...

Chocoholic heroine....my kind of heroine!

Dani