Friday, February 02, 2007

Why I Really, Truly, Really Stink at Writing

Or.....Even authors can be in pits of despair of their work.

It may seem that you're the only one looking at those labored over word-filled pages and wondering- "Did I really write this crap?"

Rest assured, friends, you are NOT alone.

I'm right there with you, reading back over the proposal I sent in a month ago and wondering....Why did I write that? What was I thinking? Could it be any worse?

I suppose it could be worse. However it could also be a whole lot better. Take for example sentence one page two - She'd left the light on.

How basic, how inane could it get? You'd think a woman who's got seven books under her belt would have a little more upmh in her writing. But no....She'd left the light on. Why don't I just narrate the entire story?...She'd left the light on. She saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye. She screamed. She jumped. She punched him in the eye with the carrot she'd been munching. He fell, the carrot protruding from his pupil perilously.

Yep, that would go over really well with my editors and my readers.

Here's the thing, though, I can throw in the towel because I am obviously not cut out to be an author. Or I can keep fighting for the right words, keep working toward that always elusive perfection, keep trusting that my imperfections can still be used for Him. Not just in writing, in life.

Out of the pit and back to the work.

His blessings on you today!

4 comments:

Mindy Obenhaus said...

Welcome back stranger. I figured you got bogged down in the holidays and deadlines.
I couldn't help laughing as I read your post today. I just wrote something similar for the group blog I'm on, talking about how the enemy tries to slap those shackles on us, telling us we can't write, or in my case, that I'll never be published.
Praise God, we have the power to break those shackles. Now let's get up and dance.

Mindy

Sabrina L. Fox said...

Sigh...see this is why you shouldn't take a break from blogging...you really encouraged me today! Now I better get back to my stinky writing. LOL.

Shirlee McCoy said...

Yes, let's dance!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shirlee,

I'm so glad you're back to blogging. I just emailed you my sad attempt at a poem ;o)

Dani