Wednesday, September 20, 2006

ACFW Conference Here I Come

Maybe.

Or maybe I'll pretend to go and just chill out by myself in a Maryland hotel for a while. That way I get to avoid:

A. Planes (why did man ever feel the need to fly? It's just not natural.)
B. Crowds (I really am an introvert. I'm just really good at pretending otherwise)
C. Humiliation (which I'm sure I will experience during the late night chats I'm co-presenting).


Of course, I've already paid for the conference and plane ticket, so I will be going. And I'm actually looking forward to it in a slightly neurotic, very anxious way. I only go to one conference a year, so this is my time to be Shirlee-the-author. A time when I feel confident about who I am and what I've accomplished in the publishing world. It's a time when I get to meet new people and reconnect with friends. A time when I can sit and think and listen and learn. When I refocus and renew my passion for what I do. It's a time when I know absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm doing what God want me to do, and that writing really is my calling and my gift.

So, yeah, I'd kind of like to find a hotel in Ocean city and spend four days at the deserted beach, but I think I'll just go ahead and get on the plane tomorrow.

Look out Dallas! Here I come!

2 comments:

Shirlee McCoy said...

Charlene,

I'm glad I seem so confident. LOL

The flight home was perfect!

And don't we all need to moan and groan sometimes??

Shirlee

Heather Diane Tipton said...

awww I'm SO glad you came to Dallas! It just wouldn't have been the same without you! I mean what trip wouldn't be complete without the famous author Shirlee McCoy making fun of me?? :o)