Monday, December 14, 2009

Beginning Again



Today, I'll begin writing the proposal for the Love Inspired Suspense 2011 continuity. The six book series centers around the murder of a Texas Ranger, and during the course of the books, that and several other mysteries will be solved.

I've always enjoyed working on continuity series. It's fun to try to weave a seamless story arc when six authors with six distinct voices are doing the weaving. In this series, my book will be the last, and it will be my job to tie up all the loose ends.

I was originally offered the first slot in the continuity but had a conflicting deadline, so book #6 it is.

I mention that because I suspect my editor is worried about me being the one to tie up the loose ends.

Not, of course, that she doesn't have complete confidence in me. But we've worked together for a lot of years, and she knows my strengths and weaknesses as an author. If asked she'd probably say that I write compelling, clean, well-written stories and I turn them in on time. If pressed, she'd probably admit that I have a tendency to get lost in the stories and forget the details.

That's okay, though. As I always say to my kids, "We've all got strengths and weaknesses. It is our job to grow in the areas where we are strong and to work on strengthening the areas where we are weak."

And now it is time for me to live what I say.

So, I'll begin this story by writing the synopsis. Generally, I write the first three chapters and then write the synopsis. That gives me a chance to get to know the characters before I have to face the torturous process of writing them into a long summary. This time, because I've got other characters from other stories to get to know, I'll begin with the synopsis.

If it seems as if I am repeating the same thing over and over again, it's because I am. I do not want to ever write the synopsis, so writing it first is at the bottom of my list of things to do. I'm hoping if I say that I'm going to do it enough times, I'll eventually convince myself and get working.

So...here we go again with more emphasis:

My goal is to have the synopsis finished before Christmas.

Considering how long it usually takes me, that'll be pushing it.

Anyway, I've got a goal, and goals must always be part of the writing process.

Right?

Right.

So, what are you working on?

No comments: